Monday, September 15, 2014

OUCH!

I was able to get a dentist’s appointment this morning. X-rays were taken. Humorous comments were bantered back and forth. The cause of my excruciating pain was determined. Drugs were prescribed. Drugs have been taken.

I have an infection, which is pretty much what I had thought. But I thought the fellow with the degree and all the experience should make that determination.

I was prescribed amoxicillin, a penicillin antibiotic, to take care of the infection, and vicodin for the pain. When I picked them up at my local Giant Eagle’s pharmacy, I got a bit of sticker shock. The price had gone up considerably since the last time I got this combination. At this rate, I might have to sleep with a pharmacist to afford my medication.

As I’ve mentioned in the past, medications rarely work exactly the way they’re supposed to work for me. I’ll be taking the amoxicillin for seven days - three pills per day - and I wouldn’t be surprised if I need to take it for another seven days to completely clear up the infection.

The vicodin - blessed vicodin - is one or two pills every four or six hours as needed for pain. It hasn’t kicked in yet but I don’t want to take too much of the stuff. It makes me very drowsy and I have a busy week ahead of me.

Now that you know more about my current medical woes than you could possibly want to know, I’ll remind you that blogging will continue to be spotty through the rest of the month. I will post something or another every day, but they will be short posts with photos of kittens and other cute creatures.

That’s it for today. I’ll be back soon with more stuff.

© 2014 Tony Isabella

1 comment:

  1. Tony,

    I remember when I was 17 and had to see an oral surgeon. I had two teeth in the in the upper palette of my mouth...the ones right before my two front teeth...right behind my so called permanent teeth. They had to be removed immediately because of the pressure they were putting on my teeth.

    My dentist recommended that I see an oral surgeon because it wasn't just a matter of pulling teeth. My upper palette ( the section with the second set of teeth) had to be removed.

    I thought I had a dental issue when actually it required an oral surgeon to take care of the issue.


    ReplyDelete