Tuesday, February 24, 2015

FIGHTING FOR DIVERSITY: COMIC BOOKS AND RACE

“Fighting for Diversity: Comic Books and Race” is a lecture I’ll be giving for Black History Month at the main branch of the Cleveland Public Library (325 Superior Avenue) on Saturday, February 28, at 4 pm. This is part of the series of lectures and talks hosted by graphic novel comics scholar Valentino Zullo.

I’ll be looking at the history of racial diversity in comic books, drawing on images from the comics themselves, as well as stories from my own career and knowledge of the comics industry. I hope to showcase various comic books featuring diverse characters and also talk about some of the African-American comics creators who worked in the industry since the dawn of that industry. There will be the usual Q&A session following my presentation.

I’m excited to have such a great opportunity to discuss and promote  something dear to my heart and of keen interest to me. As I explore a return to comic-book writing, I want diversity to be a key part of any new comics writing I do. So, throughout the year, I will be writing on diversity while seeking the insights of comics creators and readers. I am a man with a mission.

Zullo’s “Get Graphic! A Graphic Noel Speaker Series” will continue through the spring with such participants as Dr. Vera Camden, Marc Sumerak and Dr. Brad Ricca. I’ll have more on those lectures as we get closer to them.

I hope to see my area bloggy thing readers at my presentation this Saturday afternoon. Admission is free to all.

I’ll be back soon with more stuff.

© 2015 Tony Isabella

No comments:

Post a Comment