Tuesday, February 17, 2015

WIZARD WORLD COMIC CON CLEVELAND: FEBRUARY 20-22, 2015


My 2015 convention and public appearance schedule launches with the Wizard World Comic Con Cleveland, February 20-22, at the Cleveland Convention Center, 300 Lakeside Avenue in downtown Cleveland Ohio. My plan is to average two such appearances a month through the end of the year. Since I didn’t go anywhere last month, I’m already two behind. We’ll talk more about this soon.

I enjoy attending Wizard World events. They might not be all about the comics, but I always have a good time at them. From a strictly professional standpoint, I also like the opportunity to introduce new fans to the comic books I love.

Editor, writer and comics historian Danny Fingeroth will be hosting several comics-oriented panels over the weekend. I’ll be on two of them...

FRIDAY FEBRUARY 20
4:00-4:45 pm
ROOM 4

1940: WORLD WAR II AND COMICS: THE JOKER, ROBIN, THE FLASH, CAPTAIN AMERICA, CAPTAIN MARVEL, AND THE SPIRIT!

75 years ago, in 1940, as the Nazi conquest of Europe continued and the Battle of Britain raged, the United States watched from the sidelines while instituting the first peacetime draft. At the same time, the world of comics was experiencing an incredible sustained period of invention, as The Joker, Robin, Green Lantern, the Flash, Hawkman, the Spirit, Catwoman, and Captains America and Marvel all debuted! (Not to mention the debuts of pop culture icons Bugs Bunny, and Brenda Starr, and classic movies Fantasia and The Great Dictator!) Showing and discussing historical and cultural factors that made that year so important is a panel including Mike San Giacomo (Cleveland Plain Dealer), Tony Isabella (Black Lightning), Tom DeFalco (Spider-Man), Aaron Sagers (ParanormalPopCulture.com) and Danny Fingeroth (Disguised as Clark Kent: Jews, Comics and the Creation of the Superhero).

SATURDAY FEBRUARY 21
1:30-2:15 pm
ROOM 4

FROM CAP’S SHIELD TO AGENTS OF SHIELD TO GROOT! MARVEL COMICS AT 76 with DANNY FINGEROTH & TONY ISABELLA

In 1939, Marvel Comics #1 debuted, unleashing The Sub-Mariner and The Human Torch on the world, and launching what would come to be known as the Marvel Universe. Danny Fingeroth (Stan Lee Universe) and Tony Isabella (1000 Comic Books You Must Read) present an illustrated tour through the seven decades of comics, movies and TV series that make up the phenomenon that is Marvel.

Besides the panels, I will also have a table in Artist Alley. While I won’t be selling anything this time around, I will be available at various scheduled times to

- sign Isabella-written books, comics and magazines;

- answer your questions about my work and the comics art form and industry in general;

- discuss projects with artists, editors and publishers;

- look at artist samples; and, time permitting,

- be interviewed for podcasts, print media and other things of that nature. Be respectful in your questions and I’ll do my best to give you what you need for your articles and broadcasts.

When it comes to signing, I don’t charge for my autograph and don’t limit the number of items I’ll sign for you.

That said...

I won’t sign Black Lightning merchandise on which I have not been  paid royalties.

I won’t sign Black Lightning comics I didn’t write.

I won’t sign DC Comics encyclopedias or histories or similar items because I have found these books to be filled with deliberate and knowing errors of fact.

The show hours are...

Friday, February 20: 3-8 pm
Saturday, February 21: 10 am -7 pm
Sunday, February 22: 11 am - 5 pm

I will be at Table C-37. At the table, you will find a schedule ofwhen I will be at the table.

My tentative table schedule...

Friday, February 20: 5-7 pm

Saturday, February 21: 10 am - 1 pm and 3-5 pm

Sunday, February 22: 11 am - 2 pm

For information on Wizard World admission, special featured guests, artists and other creators, programming, autographs, photo ops andhotel and travel, visit the event website.

I’m looking forward to attending the show and meeting as many of my readers as I can. See you soon!

Keep following this bloggy thing of mine for updates on all things Isabella, announcements of future appearances and, maybe as soon as early March, a return to our usual nigh-daily parade of news, views and reviews, comics history and whatever else strikes my fancy when I’m in a bloggy state of mind.

© 2015 Tony Isabella

No comments:

Post a Comment